
Well I'm officially no longer in my twenties - it's a new decade for me and life seems to be going pretty well. I had an amazing yurt-tastic birthday weekend with all my nearest and dearest on this organic farm in the Cotswolds. It was the perfect combination of friends, fires, food, frollicks, farm tours, sock puppetry, cupcakes, singing, laughing, Mafia games and sunny stone circles. I couldn't have wished for a better way to see in my thirties than spending it with the people who've made my 20s such a fulfilling adventure. The next 30 years seem full of promise, and I'm going to be kept busy by the long list of 30 things to do in my next thirty from everyone who was there!! I'm not sure about running those 3 marathons, guys!!
Anyway, after a beautiful weekend, it was straight into the swing of things at work. Editing and design on the new Going Greener - transition universities campaign materials; preparing the schedule and sessions for this weekend's Campaign Advocate and vols training; shortlisting and recruitment for P&P's new officer role; today's strategy meeting on the RBS/Legal Challenge with our key coalition partners and lawyers; and this evening's exciting 'Chatham House' rules session with some influential characters in the investment world. I can't say who was there or who said what, but let's just say we gained some interesting insights that will come in pretty handy in our case against the Treasury and for transforming the Royal Bank of Scotland into the Royal Bank of Sustainability.
Oh, and it's been a pretty good week for our Ditch Dirty Development campaign generally. First someone called President Obama offered me a little belated birthday present by coming out in support of our campaign to transform financing for fossil fuels. He said:
I will work with my colleagues at the G20 to phase out fossil fuel subsidies so that we can better address our climate challenge.
And then today, the Lib Dem conference endorsed our campaign too, calling for:
Mandatory carbon reports on investments by all businesses and banks,
and an end to taxpayer support for investments in high-polluting fuels
like tar sands extraction
No comments:
Post a Comment