
Beetroot, Pumpkin and Chorizo* Risotto (serves 3)
Ingredients
1 large beetroot (peeled and chopped)
1 large onion (finely chopped)
1 small leek (finely chopped)
1/2 small squash or pumpkin
1 clove garlic (crushed)
200g of chorizo (sliced) * optional
300g brown organic arborio rice
150 ml dry white wine
400 ml vegetable stock
100 g Parmesan cheese (grated)
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt
pepper
chilli flakes
1 bayleaf
extra virgin olive oil
This is a great, deeply flavoured (and coloured) risotto. I just discovered it this evening by throwing together some of the random ingredients left in my fridge and cupboard. It tasted amazing so I thought I'd share the recipe with you, and record it so I can make it again one day. I've never been known to make the same dish twice but I think this one's a winner. For veggies out there, the chorizo's completely optional but adds great flavour to the dish.
So, to get started, clean, peel and chop all your vegetables pretty finely. In a heavy pan heat up a generous glug of good olive oil and chuck in the onion first. Let it cook a little and add the sliced leek, crushed garlic and a little salt and pepper, a bayleaf and a little chilli. Stir it all up over a medium heat for a couple of minutes and then throw in the chorizo.
Next, add the chopped pumpkin and beetroot and stir the whole lot up so that everything is coated and frying up nicely. After a few minutes you can add in the rice and stir everything up again. When the rice starts to take on the beetroot colour, pour in the wine a little at a time. Your pan should be hot enough that the wine sizzles away when you pour it in.
Gradually add your stock, stirring up everything each time until it is absorbed and keep repeating. Depending on the type of rice you use, it could take 25 - 30 minutes to cook, but make sure you don't overcook it. The rice should still have a bite to it and a nutty flavour.
When your rice is nearly cooked, grate up your parmesan. Add more salt and pepper to taste (I always add a shed load of pepper). Take the risotto off the heat and stir in all the parmesan. For a final touch when it's all blended in, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and stir up one last time. Et voila!
Try it out and let me know if you enjoy it. And as Jamie Oliverwould say 'Pass it on' if you do.
Louise
p.s. I tried to take a photo of the risotto to go with this post, but it actually didn't look so nice in the picture. But believe me, it tasted wonderful. I'm off to make mince pies now...
3 comments:
I am definitely trying this. I love the idea of recording recipes that turn out nice. I am the same, I never make the same thing again, or the same things tastes different every time I make it.c
mmm....looks tasty. I will definitely try this out. btw, how come you never cooked when we were together?? lol. oh. wait. you did make crepes once or twice...and that whole Christmas lunch :)
Crikey, C. She's the only one who DOES cook round here...when did that happen then?
I have a feeling our Haze likes to give the impression she's always been a foody...
oh, and that she makes mince pies. Umm, WHO made those mince pies? eh?
Yes. That would be moi.
Post a Comment